The Kyle Rhea was the earliest regular crossing point to The Isle of Skye. The crossing was so important that after the 1715 uprising the Government built nearby Bernera Barracks to guard it. A regular ferry was well established here by 1773 when Boswell and Johnson made their tour of the Hebrides. The cobbled pier used then can still be seen close to the slipway used by the ferry today on the Glenelg side and is the shortest crossing point to Skye.
© Copyright Craig Michael Camp - All rights reserved.